Northwest Medical Center's Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is one of only two certified programs in Tucson. Cardiac rehabilitation is typically covered by most insurance providers.
The objective of the program is to return patients recovering from cardiac illness to their optimal physical and emotional well-being. You must have a referral from your doctor to be admitted to the program and an exercise stress test is required to determine your current exercise capacity.
The first phase of cardiac rehabilitation begins in the hospital as you recover from a heart attack, percutaneous coronary intervention, bypass surgery or other heart condition. Physical activity will first begin as you walk the hospital hall with assistance.
Phase two may begin as early as two weeks after discharge from the hospital, depending on your diagnosis. This phase is usually covered by insurance and continues for 12 weeks. It consists of:
- body mass index (BMI) monitoring
- diabetic glucose monitoring (if needed)
- educational instruction on various heart-related and "healthy living" subjects
- EKG-monitored exercise
- exercise using a treadmill, stationary bicycle, arm cycling, weights and stepping
- supervised exercise sessions three times a week
Supervised exercise continues in this phase with the goal of maintaining a consistent healthy lifestyle. This is a self-pay program.
Benefits of Cardiac Rehabilitation
Participating in the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at Northwest Medical Center may provide the following benefits:
- blood pressure control
- decreased risk factors for coronary heart disease
- improved ability to cope with stress and anxiety
- improved body flexibility
- improved blood cholesterol levels
- improved stamina
- safe exercise habits
- support group participation
- weight management
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Clinic
This clinic is designed specifically for individuals with CHF. The goal is to keep the patient out of the hospital, improve quality of life and limit disease progression.
Benefits of the CHF Clinic
With a personalized treatment plan for each patient, the potential benefits of the CHF Clinic include:
- heart health education
- improved ability to do activities and exercises you enjoy
- improved quality of life with an increase in lifespan
- reduction of symptoms
- reduction in hospitalizations
CHF clinic team
Your CHF team is dedicated to providing the most up-to-date treatment and monitoring your progress. Your team may include all or some of the following:
- clinical dietitian
- exercise physiologist
- nurse specialist
- primary care doctor
Multiple Risk Adult Fitness Program
This program is designed for individuals at risk for developing heart disease or for those who want to be in a supervised exercise program. A referral from your doctor and an exercise stress test are required. This self-pay program helps individuals with:
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- inactive lifestyle
- weight problems
For more information, call 520-202-2740.